What is Content ID?
In short, Content ID is YouTube’s Audio fingerprinting service that detects your music within Videos. When your music is detected in a video that was created by a YouTube user that did not obtain a license to sync it, ads are placed against the video and you make money. This is not PRO money distributed to ASCAP, BMI, or SOCAN, but money generated by advertising, paid directly to rights holders by YouTube. It is an additional revenue stream.
Wait backup, what types of videos you say?
We collect money from YouTube when your music ends up in in several types of video creation scenarios:
- A user stumbles across you track, loves it, puts it in his/her cat video, posts it on YouTube. CID detects your music, places ads against the video, sends you money.
- That same cat video goes viral and someone rips it to make a compilation of the BEST CAT VIDS EVER!!!! They post this new content, CID detects your music, places ads against the video, sends you money.
- Your music is placed in a film and a YouTube user decides to rip and post a clip of the scene that contains your music. CID detects your music, places ads against it, sends you money.
- Your music was licensed for a commercial that is very entertaining and it goes viral on YouTube. All of unauthorized copies of this video that were ripped from the original would be monetized with ads and you would make money.
- You play a live gig, 20 people make mobile phone videos of you performing your music, and decide to post these videos on YouTube. CID detects your performance, places ads against it, sends you money.
- A fan watches these videos and is inspired to perform a cover of their favorite song. CID detects the cover, places ads against it, sends you money.
- A fan buys your album and posts it on YouTube. CID detects it, places ads against it, sends you money.
How Much does this cost?
Muserk retains a 15% management fee. This is a very competitive rate compared to the 20-25% charged by most and up to 50% charged by others.
I heard CID causes nothing but problems. People who license my music will get copyright strikes, videos will be taken down, ads will appear and they can’t monetize their videos, my reputation will be ruined, I will be banned from libraries, my significant other will leave me (again), YouTube is evil!
Some concerns about CID are valid while others are just crazy talk. Let’s address these one by one:
I heard CID causes nothing but problems….
Very real concerns about CID abuse (claiming ownership of content that is not the proper rights holder’s, being slow to release claims when needed, trolling for money, etc) stem from administrators who mismanage assets on YouTube. However Muserk takes a proactive approach to CID admin and only pursue what is rightfully yours. We monetize unauthorized usages of your music, or content where the user has agreed to let us monetize their video on your behalf. In the case where where a user has properly licensed your music and their content has been claimed, we resolve these situations quickly.
People who license my music will get copyright strikes and/or videos will be taken down
This is originates from confusing “Claiming” with “Takedowns” and their subsequent Copyright Strikes. A “claim” happens when a rights holder digitally states “Hey, that’s mine.” A choice (aka the “policy”) is then made to either track, monetize, or block (blocking is not a takedown) the video. We only claim in order to monetize content, and do not automatically issue takedowns. We would only issue a takedown if, in the rare case, there were an egregious violation of Muserk’s ToS.
“Ads will appear and they can’t monetize their videos!”
With mis-managed CID, yes; but Muserk takes a proactive approach to CID admin and responds to all disputes quickly. Remember, claims do not equate to strikes or YouTube community guideline violations.
Assuming your music was legitimately licensed, we will lift the claim and clear your music for that video ASAP. For trusted clients who regularly license your music we can “whitelist” their channel so they will never see a claim. For one-off licenses, we have a system in place where video producers can easily send us all the information needed to quickly authorize use of your music on their video.
“My reputation will be ruined, I will be banned from libraries!”
We do not want this to happen. Remember your reputation is ours as well, and we always want the best for both of us. As stated, we take a proactive approach to make things move as smooth as possible for video creators who license your music. We will even field requests from YouTube users that have licensed your music from one of our competitors!
As far as the banning? Some libraries only look at the problems that have been created by CID abuse do not understand that not being in a CID program is actually hurting them. This is because of 3 things:
- Having your music in CID insures that no one else can claim ownership of it. Example: Your music ends up in a video, that ends up in Content ID… If your music is not claimed by you, then the video creator could accidentally claim ownership of your music by claiming all audio in the video, which of course includes your track. Claims would then be issued against the entire audio track of the video. Having your music in CID insures that your music is excluded, and only audio truly owned by video creator is claimed by them.
- Multi Channel Networks (MCNs) that create massive amounts of content, and therefore present huge licensing opportunities, many times prefer to work with libraries that have their music well-managed on Content ID, to prevent ownership conflicts.
- Content ID ensures better reporting to PROs.
“My significant other will leave me (again)!”
Make money from CID and take him/her on a vacation!
YouTube is evil!
Quite the opposite; YouTube is the only platform that offers a service like this, that gives this much control to rights holders, while generating a completely new revenue stream, that pays rights holders directly.
Anything else I should know?
- As mentioned, CID data is used to generate reports for PROs. You will have better detection and more accurate reporting to your PRO from YouTube.
- We only offer music that we manage on Content ID to online platforms and MCN’s. Your opportunities for licensing you music are greatly increased.
- Any information you can give to us regarding music in YouTube videos helps us field claims.
- If you have a YouTube channel, let us know so we can whitelist the channel and you can monetize it yourself!
Want to start earning the money you deserve? Join Muserk’s Content ID Program!